Atlanta i Georgia
When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it is important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Atlanta. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. If you have questions, visit the City’s short-term rental homepage or other city agencies directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
Short-term rental regulations
In March 2021, City of Atlanta adopted the “City of Atlanta Short-Term Rental Ordinance” that states that a short-term rental license may be obtained by a short-term rental owner, or long-term tenant of a short term rental, for their primary residence plus one additional dwelling unit without any additional requirements, fees, permits, licenses, zoning, or related restrictions. The ordinance requires owners to apply for a STR license through an online portal developed by the City. Overview here. Ordinance here.
- Starting March 1, 2022, the City of Atlanta will require short-term rental operators to obtain permits to operate.
- The permit application fee is $150.
- Visit the City’s website to find out when registration will become mandatory for those currently operating a short-term rental.
- Hosts should register through the City of Atlanta’s Citizen Gateway.
How to apply
- Create an account using the City of Atlanta’s Citizen Gateway.
- After logging into your account take the following steps:
- Click “Create” at the top of the page.
- From the drop down select: Building Application.
- Scroll to the bottom of that page and click the checkbox to accept all terms.
- Click “Continue Application”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Select Short-Term Rental”.
- Select “Short-Term Rental License”.
- Click “Continue Application”.
- Complete Application.
The City of Atlanta has several resources to assist you with the registration process available at The City of Atlanta Short-Term Rental Homepage. Documents that are needed during the application process are listed under the “Additional Resources” tab.
Adding registration details to your listing(s)
The law also requires all Hosts to display their registration number on their listing. To add this number to your listing, go to Listings, select the listing you want, and add the number under Regulations.
Taxes and fees
Airbnb has detailed information about state and local taxes for Hosts available in our Tax Help Center.
It's also important to understand and follow other contracts or rules, such as leases, timeshare ownership rules, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord if applicable.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
- Airbnb opkræver og indsender belægningsskat i GeorgiaHer er, hvad du har brug for at vide om opkrævning og overførsel af belægningsskat i dit område.
- East Brunswick i New JerseyHvis du overvejer at blive Airbnb-vært, er her nogle oplysninger, der kan hjælpe dig med at forstå lovene i din by
- Coral Gables i FloridaHvis du overvejer at blive Airbnb-vært, er her nogle oplysninger, der kan hjælpe dig med at forstå lovene i din by