Gå videre til indhold

Guidebook for Patra

Kassiani

Guidebook for Patra

Arts & Culture
The Roman Odeon, the most significant ancient monument, is in the upper town, near the house and was built around 160 AD, in the reign of either Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius. It has been restored and partially reconstructed, and is used as an open-air theatre for performances and concerts in the summer. http://www.picturesque-peloponnese.com/patraodeion.html
Roman Odeon Patra
The Roman Odeon, the most significant ancient monument, is in the upper town, near the house and was built around 160 AD, in the reign of either Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius. It has been restored and partially reconstructed, and is used as an open-air theatre for performances and concerts in the summer. http://www.picturesque-peloponnese.com/patraodeion.html
The municipal Theatre Apollon, built in 1872 to plans by the German architect Ernst Ziller. The building is characteristic of the 19th century neoclassical style and is in the central square of the city.
Apollon Theatre
The municipal Theatre Apollon, built in 1872 to plans by the German architect Ernst Ziller. The building is characteristic of the 19th century neoclassical style and is in the central square of the city.
OPEN AIR THEATRE
Theatro Frouriou
OPEN AIR THEATRE
The Patras Archaeological Museum exhibits the history of Patras from the prehistoric era to the late Roman period. The exhibition is divided into three thematic sections demonstrated in the three large separate halls of the museum: the Chamber of Private Life, the Hall of Necropolis and the Hall of Public Life.
6
lokale anbefaler
Archaeological Museum of Patras
6
lokale anbefaler
The Patras Archaeological Museum exhibits the history of Patras from the prehistoric era to the late Roman period. The exhibition is divided into three thematic sections demonstrated in the three large separate halls of the museum: the Chamber of Private Life, the Hall of Necropolis and the Hall of Public Life.
Sightseeing
The medieval Patras Castle, in the ancient acropolis overlooking the city, was initially built in the 6th century AD by the Byzantine emperor Justinian, having many additions from the period of the Frankish and Venetian rule of the city, up to as far as the time of the Despotate of Morea and later the Ottoman Empire. Its current outline dates back to the second Venetian rule of the town (1687–1715). Today, its interior is used as a public garden.
Patras Castle
The medieval Patras Castle, in the ancient acropolis overlooking the city, was initially built in the 6th century AD by the Byzantine emperor Justinian, having many additions from the period of the Frankish and Venetian rule of the city, up to as far as the time of the Despotate of Morea and later the Ottoman Empire. Its current outline dates back to the second Venetian rule of the town (1687–1715). Today, its interior is used as a public garden.
The church of Saint Andrew of Patras was founded in 1908 by King George I and was inaugurated in 1974. It is dedicated to Saint Andrew, the patron of the city and is near the seafront, between the areas of the new and the old port.[15] It is the second largest temple of byzantine style in the Balkans (after the Cathedral of Saint Sava in Belgrade). The central cupola is 46 m (151 ft) tall and is the base for a 5 m (16 ft) gold-plated cross and twelve smaller ones, symbolizing Christ and the twelve apostles. A congregation of at least 5,000 can attend a sermon within the church.
Church of Agios Andreas
The church of Saint Andrew of Patras was founded in 1908 by King George I and was inaugurated in 1974. It is dedicated to Saint Andrew, the patron of the city and is near the seafront, between the areas of the new and the old port.[15] It is the second largest temple of byzantine style in the Balkans (after the Cathedral of Saint Sava in Belgrade). The central cupola is 46 m (151 ft) tall and is the base for a 5 m (16 ft) gold-plated cross and twelve smaller ones, symbolizing Christ and the twelve apostles. A congregation of at least 5,000 can attend a sermon within the church.
The Roman Amphitheatre, near the Roman Odeon, in Ifestou street, dating from the 1st century AD, at a period of the biggest development of Roman Patras. Its area has been only partially excavated.
Romaiko Amfitheatro
The Roman Amphitheatre, near the Roman Odeon, in Ifestou street, dating from the 1st century AD, at a period of the biggest development of Roman Patras. Its area has been only partially excavated.
CONTEMPORARY BRIDGE
13
lokale anbefaler
Rion-Antirion Bridge
13
lokale anbefaler
CONTEMPORARY BRIDGE
Built on the ruins of the ancient temple of Zeus, Pantokratoras is a Byzantine church, which was converted into a mosque during the Turkish occupation
Pantokrator Church
13 Par. Panagouli
Built on the ruins of the ancient temple of Zeus, Pantokratoras is a Byzantine church, which was converted into a mosque during the Turkish occupation
Essentials
the central square and the heart of the city. It was named after king George I. The square's fountains were installed in 1875 at a cost of 70,000 drachmas each, a huge amount for the finances of Greece and Patra at the time. It was and continues to be the center of political and cultural life in the city, hosting all significant activities, political gatherings, rallies, cultural events and, most importantly for some, its carnival.
Πλατεία Γεωργίου Α
the central square and the heart of the city. It was named after king George I. The square's fountains were installed in 1875 at a cost of 70,000 drachmas each, a huge amount for the finances of Greece and Patra at the time. It was and continues to be the center of political and cultural life in the city, hosting all significant activities, political gatherings, rallies, cultural events and, most importantly for some, its carnival.
Fresh fruit, vegetables & local products of high quality
Agrili
140 Dim. Gounari
Fresh fruit, vegetables & local products of high quality
Entertainment & Activities
ΠΕΖΟΔΡΟΜΟΣ
6
lokale anbefaler
Riga Fereou
6
lokale anbefaler
ΠΕΖΟΔΡΟΜΟΣ
The Patras Lighthouse, a reconstructed "Faros" (Lighthouse), which is the symbol of the city. The lighthouse is situated at the seaside front between the old and the new port, at the end of Trion Navarhon street.
Patras Lighthouse
The Patras Lighthouse, a reconstructed "Faros" (Lighthouse), which is the symbol of the city. The lighthouse is situated at the seaside front between the old and the new port, at the end of Trion Navarhon street.
The Turkish baths building (16th century), in Boukaouri street, still retain their initial use, and are one of the few Turkish baths surviving in Europe.
Hammam
29 Mpoukaouri
The Turkish baths building (16th century), in Boukaouri street, still retain their initial use, and are one of the few Turkish baths surviving in Europe.
OPEN AIR THEATRE
Port Theater
OPEN AIR THEATRE
Μαρίνα Πάτρας
51 Ir. Politechniou
Food Scene
Trion Navarchon pedestrian street, offers a wide vista across the western Gulf of Patras, including the mountains of Aitoloakarnania.
Trion Navarchon
Trion Navarchon pedestrian street, offers a wide vista across the western Gulf of Patras, including the mountains of Aitoloakarnania.
ΕΣΤΙΑΤΟΡΙΟ
Sotiriadou 27
27 Sotiriadou
ΕΣΤΙΑΤΟΡΙΟ
Psilalonia Square is one of Patras's most popular squares. It features a fountain, many sidewalks, palm trees and playgrounds. A bronze statue of Germanos of Patras stands on the northern end, while a memorial plaque to people executed in the Axis occupation of Greece stands on the south-western corner. It is surrounded by several shops, restaurants and cafes and a number of modernist buildings. It was completed in the mid to late-19th century, when trees were added, along with neoclassical buildings. After World War II and the Greek Civil War however, and through the 1960s and 1970s, most neoclassical buildings were replaced by eight-storey residential buildings.
Platia Ipsilon Alonion
Psilalonia Square is one of Patras's most popular squares. It features a fountain, many sidewalks, palm trees and playgrounds. A bronze statue of Germanos of Patras stands on the northern end, while a memorial plaque to people executed in the Axis occupation of Greece stands on the south-western corner. It is surrounded by several shops, restaurants and cafes and a number of modernist buildings. It was completed in the mid to late-19th century, when trees were added, along with neoclassical buildings. After World War II and the Greek Civil War however, and through the 1960s and 1970s, most neoclassical buildings were replaced by eight-storey residential buildings.
Pedestrian street
Agiou Nikolaou
Pedestrian street
Just around the corner, opposite Roman Odeon-delicious dishes & handmade desserts
Απέναντι απ'το ωδείο
27 Sotiriadou
Just around the corner, opposite Roman Odeon-delicious dishes & handmade desserts
Parks & Nature
Paralia Riou
Beach St. Basil
BEACH DIMORIGOPOULOU
Paralia Vrachneikon
Paralia Alissou
Paralia Arachovitikon
Kalogria
Kyllini
Drinks & Nightlife
Bar & restaurant, vivid & nice atmosphere
Prego
18 Paleon Patron Germanou
Bar & restaurant, vivid & nice atmosphere
mad pomegranate tree
156 Karaiskaki