Gå videre til indhold

De bedste anbefalinger fra lokale

Find ud af, hvad der gør byen unik, med hjælp fra de lokale, der kender den bedst – fra sightseeing til skjulte perler.

Bank
  • 1 lokal anbefaler
Locality
“Gżira (Maltese: Il-Gżira) is a town in the Central Region of Malta. It is located between Msida and Sliema, also bordering on Ta' Xbiex. It has a population of 8,029 as of March 2014.[1] The word Gżira means "island" in Maltese, and the town is named after Manoel Island which lies just adjacent to the town. The seafront of Gżira is famed for its views of the walled city of Valletta, which are illuminated at night, forming a picturesque backdrop to Manoel Island, the yacht marina and a seafront public garden. Kappara is located close to Gżira. Manoel Island in Gżira's Marsamxett Harbour, was originally known as l'Isola del Vescovo or il-Gżira tal-Isqof in Maltese (literally translated as "the Bishop's Island"). In 1643 Jean Paul Lascaris, Grandmaster of the Knights of Malta, constructed a quarantine hospital (Lazzaretto) on the island, in an attempt to control the periodic influx of plague and cholera on board visiting ships. The island was renamed after António Manoel de Vilhena, a Portuguese Grandmaster of the Knights of Malta under whose leadership Fort Manoel was built in 1726. Fort Manoel is considered a marvel of 18th century military engineering. The original plans for the Fort are attributed to Louis d'Augbigne Tigné, and are said to have been modified by his friend and colleague Charles François de Mondion, who is buried in a crypt beneath Fort Manoel. At one time, the Knights of Malta considered developing a walled city on Manoel Island, but instead they settled on a fort designed to house up to 500 soldiers. The Fort has a magnificent quadrangle, parade ground and arcade, and once housed a baroque chapel dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, under the direct command of the Order. During World War II, Manoel Island and its fort were used as a naval base by the Royal Navy, at which time it was referred to variously as "HMS Talbot" or "HMS Phœnicia". The Chapel of St. Anthony was virtually destroyed following a direct hit by Luftwaffe bombers in March 1942.[2] For several years now, Manoel Island houses a quaint, informal sanctuary for ducks and other waterfowl, created and maintained by a local volunteer, and funded entirely by private donations near the bridge connecting the island with the main island. As of November 2006, the historic fort was undergoing significant restoration and renovation works, and a new housing development was under construction on Manoel Island. The Manoel Island redevelopment project, however, has been heavily criticized due to its proximity to the island's important historical buildings. A guarded barrier some 300 yards after the bridge makes it clear that the public is not welcome on the largest part of the island. In the mid-19th century a villa was built in Gżira by Chevalier Jacob Tagliaferro. Slowly Gżira started seeing more houses being built and its population has increased. It was mainly known as a working-class suburb. When Malta was still a British Colony (1800-1964), and until the 1970s, Gżira became afflicted by the prevalence of prostitution along its main streets such at The Strand and Testaferrata Street. When the British Services left Malta on 31 March 1979 prostitution has changed character and served for the Arab community being mainly Libyans. During the last decade, many old houses have been demolished and new buildings with modern architecture have been built. As a result, much of the character and charm of the seafront houses changed; although in the heart of Gżira examples of traditional Maltese façades, with timber balconies (Gallarija) and bow-fronted, wrought-iron balconies. The proliferation of flats in Gżira led to an inflation of the housing prices, as the town became sought after by both Maltese and foreigners. The Roman Catholic parish church of Gżira is also known locally as tal-Ġebla . Its literal translation means "of the stone". In fact it is actually a reference to an incident which took place in Gżira on 10 July 1902. Three British drunken sailors, namely William Walls, Charles Thurbull and John Packhun wanted to enter into bar, which at that time of day, was closed.The sailors wanted to enter at all costs. When Karmnu Brincat, the owner of the bar, refused to open they started throwing stones at the place. One of these stones hit a small shrine depicting a picture of Our Lady of Mount Carmel which was hanging outside the bar. The stone broke the glass of the frame, but did not make contact with the portrait itself, which remained intact. Notwithstanding the wind, the stone remained fixed within the broken glass. The stone was removed by Rev. Anton Manché and taken to the Stella Maris Parish Church in Sliema, whose Parish Priest at the time was the Rev.Francis Vincent Manché the brother of Rev. Anton Manché. For three days, prayers and services for reparation were held. Rev. Anton Anton Manché managed to set up a small chapel in Gżira where the small shrine was taken. On 7 July 1913 Bishop Pietro Pace declared the ch”
  • 3 lokale anbefaler
  • 1 oplevelse
Dagligvarebutik
“This little corner shop opens from 6.00 am until midnight. So if ever you remembeed that you forgot anything, this is the place.”
  • 2 lokale anbefaler
Bank
  • 2 lokale anbefaler
Hardware Store
  • 1 lokal anbefaler
Dagligvarebutik
“I recommend that after you settle in, you could go to The Mini Convenience shop as shown below (1 min walk but turning left on the side street) to buy any necessities you might need like milk, bread, toiletries, etc”
  • 1 lokal anbefaler
Park
  • 2 oplevelser