Clean and Spacious Luxury Room with En-suite Bathroom, King Size Bed & Quality mattress, Built-in TV & a private kitchenette in a big and fully equipped house, Beautiful backyard with a wide range of native birds (Cockatoos ,...) .
Located in a quiet area with lots of free parking spots nearby &
two parks nearby which is equipped for kids &
a supermarket which is located nearby , and also a bus stop just 30 meters away! All these features make this place so convenient for all kinds of guests .
We are 2kms from the Sunbury train station and Sunbury township with many restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and shops. Local bus stop and a milkbar(general store) are nearby as well. You could catch a bus from the train station nearly to our front door. We are a 20 min drive from Melbourne Airport .
We have parking spots in front of our house. We are situated close to the Calder Freeway whiuch gives you easy access to the Mt.Macedon, Hanging Rock and scenic surrounding areas.
Airport pick-ups/drop-offs can be arranged for a nominal fee - depending on host availability.
Sunbury has many historic bluestone bridges, railway viaducts and churches. The area is home to Emu Bottom Homestead (c. 1835), Victoria’s oldest homestead; the bluestone cellar doors of Goona Warra Vineyard (c. 1858) and Craiglee (c. 1866). The former asylum (c.1864) is another imposing building overlooking the township and the old Sunbury Courthouse and Aitken’s Gap Gaol are other links to Sunbury’s past.
Aitken’s Gap Gaol
The Aitken’s Gap Police Gaol was erected in 1857 at a cost of ₤200. It was built near the Calder Highway West of Sunbury where there was a small town known as “The Gap”, originally called Aitken’s Gap after the pioneer sheep farmer John Aitken. The Town sprung up with diggers spending the night on their way to the goldfields after the gold rush started in Victoria in 1851, and was in use until 1863.
The Gaol was mostly used for the safe storage of gold and cash on route to the Treasury in Melbourne. In 1863 Aitken’s Gap Barracks were closed and in 1989, the owner of the building Mr Bruce Akers (as it was now on his land) generously donated the building to the Sunbury Police to be rebuilt for the community as a monument to our pioneering past.
In 1988 the Gaol was relocated to it’s present location – between the Police Station and the Old Courthouse in Macedon Street Sunbury.
43 Macedon Street Sunbury 3429
Tel: +(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Email: (EMAIL HIDDEN)
Boilerhouse Art Gallery
The Boilerhouse was built in 1899 and since then the tall red chimney of this structure has been a Sunbury landmark. The former Boilerhouse and laundry of the original Industrial School underwent refurbishment in 1995 and became the home of the Art Gallery and Community Arts Centre. They held their first exhibition in 1996. For more information visit: (URL HIDDEN)
Building 20, Boilerhouse Road, Sunbury 3429
Website: ww.su(URL HIDDEN)
Emu Bottom Homestead- Victoria’s oldest homestead
Emu Bottom Homestead operated as a tourist attraction for the period of (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) and during this time approximately 90,000 each year visitors enjoyed stepping back to experience a small piece of Australia’s pioneering past.
Today, Emu Bottom Homestead is an important landmark and a treasured part of Australian pioneering heritage. The homestead complex is the backdrop to all manner of functions and events and boasts two dining facilities – the Woolshed and the Homestead Dining Room.
Please note Emu Bottom is today used as a reception centre and is not open to the public for tours.
Homestead Way, Sunbury 3429
Tel. +(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
George Evans Museum
The George Evans Museum hosts a significant collection of over 3,500 items including photographs, documents and objects of significance to Sunbury and surrounds. The Museum displays a permanent exhibition of pieces as well as rotating feature exhibitions. The Museum is open in conjunction with Sunbury Library hours and is staffed part-time by Council staff and volunteers.
36 Macedon Street, Sunbury 3429 - Enter through Sunbury Library
Tel. ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Email: (EMAIL HIDDEN)
Historical walk around Sunbury
Sunbury has many walking trails, most featuring historic sites. The entire Sunbury Region features many historic bluestone bridges, railway viaducts and churches. Some of the historical features of Sunbury include: Catholic Presbytery, Mount Carmel Church and Primary School ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)ll Court Hotel (1860), Dunblane (1893), Old Wine Saloon No. 33 (1870), St. Andrews Uniting Church (1904), St. Mary’s Church (1867), Sunbury and District Soldier Memorial, Joseph Starkie Fountain (1915), Sunbury Cannon (1865), Catholic Convent (1916), plus so much more. The “Sunbury Heritage Walks” brochure lists four of these walks, giving a brief outline of the local history.
Pick up your free copy at the Sunbury Visitor Information Centre, 43 Macedon Street, Sunbury.
History of the Ashes
It was on the cricket field of Rupertswood that the Ashes were created. Over the Christmas of 1882, eight amateur members of the English touring side were house guests of the Clarkes. Sir William organised a social hit between the English and his guests, and with the English proving victorious, Janet Lady Clarke burnt a bail, the ashes of which she placed in a small urn and presented to the English Captain (Ivo Bligh).
Indigenous Earth Rings
The earth ring sites are extremely rare. Only eight earth rings are documented for the entire state of Victoria. Five of these are found in Sunbury. The Sunbury rings are shallow, circular depressions, partially enclosed by raised earth rims. They range from 15 to 25 metres in diameter. One of these sites was excavated in 1979 and yielded the discovery of 164 stone artefacts and revealed that the ring had been made by human hands. When and why they were made remains a mystery but it is believed that they formed part of a male initiation ceremony.
Please note: the sites are protected under legislation and people must not enter the fenced areas around the rings.
For more information on the rings and the local Indigenous history of the region please contact
Sunbury Visitor Information Centre +(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
email: (EMAIL HIDDEN)
Old Sunbury Courthouse – Sunbury Visitor Information Centre
Aside from being the site for the Information Centre for the area of Hume, the Sunbury Courthouse is steeped in history in its own right. In 1884 the Government decided to construct a permanent Court House in Sunbury and the tender was awarded in 1885 to Dodridge and Roberston at a cost of ₤507/9/6. The courthouse was operational until 1989 when it was officially closed. In 1992 restoration work commenced and in 1993 it re-opened as a Visitor Information Centre.
43 Macedon Street, Sunbury
Tel. +(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Victoria University site – Old Sunbury Asylum Tours
In the 1860’s Sunbury was chosen as the site for a purpose built Industrial School with 10 bluestone buildings to accommodate children. Most of these children were abandoned, orphaned or neglected due to the gold rush at both Ballarat and Bendigo. The living conditions at the time were atrocious and ill health predominant. In the school’s first year alone, ten children died, earning the school the nickname of the “Sunbury Slaughterhouse”.
The school was closed after 14 years and was re-developed from 1879 as an institution for psychiatric patients. It is during this period that the “old asylum” is most remembered and was also known as Caloola. In 1994 Victoria University moved onto the site, but subsequently closed its doors.
Today, visitors can collect a self- guided tour map from the Sunbury Visitor Information Centre and wander at their own pace, exploring the exterior of these remarkable buildings.
Alternatively, you can take a guided walking night tour, available only on weekends
Sunbury Historical Tours
17 Circular Drive, Sunbury 3429
Tel: Julie (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Website: (URL HIDDEN)
The Village Green
The Sunbury Village Green is a unique place. It is not a true village green in the traditional sense, but was created as a result of the closure of Stawell Street to traffic. Stawell Street provided a key link between the early settlement of Sunbury and the commercial precinct that later blossomed with the opening of the railway in 1859. This area includes original churches, St Mary’s (1867), St Andrews (1870) as well as the old Mechanics Institute (1885 – now known as Memorial Hall), War memorial, Starkie Fountain memorial and Sunbury Gun (1864) used by the Rupertswood Battery.
Corner of Barkly & Brook Streets, Sunbury
Med plads til
Sunbury, Victoria, Australien