Southampton i New York
When you become an Airbnb Host, it's important to understand the laws in your city. Although we don’t provide legal advice, we have put together some useful links to help you better understand the laws and regulations in Southampton.
Note that the information here is not exhaustive. We'll periodically update this page as more information becomes available.
Before you start renting out property in the Town of Southampton, you must register to do so with the local government. There is a minimum rental period of 2 weeks for all rentals, and permits are valid for 2 years.
For comprehensive information on the registration process check the Southampton Town Government website.
As part of your application for a rental permit, you’ll need:
- Floor Plans. Floor plans drawn of the entire subject structure or building.
- Survey. A copy of the property survey and/or site plan of the premises drawn to scale not greater than 40 feet to one inch, showing all buildings, structures, walks, driveways, and other physical features of the premises and the number, location, and access of existing and proposed on-site vehicle parking facilities.
- Certificates of Occupancy and Compliance. Certificates of occupancy and compliance for all structures on the property. Building Permit Application LINK is needed if any structures on the subject property do not hold a certificate of occupancy or compliance.
- Residential Smoke Detector Affidavit. This form is included in the application package and must be signed and notarized.
- Engineer or Architect Certification of Code Compliance. Must be submitted by a licensed architect or engineer if an inspection by Town of Southampton Inspector is declined.
- Designation of Agent for Service. Must be completed by property owner.
- Refuse Removal Affidavit
- Proof of Ownership. Must be submitted if property is in probate and if owned by a Trust, Corp, LLC or other Business Entity. (Check the cover page of the Rental Permit Application.)
The application fees are:
- Standard fee $300
- Enhanced Star, Veterans Exemption, or Senior Citizen’s Exemption fee $150
- Volunteer Fire Department or Ambulance Workers Real Property Exemption fee $150
- Inspection / Certification by Licensed Architect or Licensed Engineer fee $200
- Senior Citizen (as per §330-5) or Qualified Disabled Person (as per §216-2) fee $150
- Property in Violation of Chapter 270 (Rental Properties) fee $500
- Expedited Rental Permit fee $750
There are different permits and document types available, depending on your requirements. Each link here brings you directly to a PDF copy of the relevant document:
- Rental Permit Application (2-YR)
- Change of Tenant for Rental Permit
- Rental Permit Renewal Application
- Beach Permit Affidavit
- Authorized Agent Letter
Checklist & FAQ
Mail or hand-in completed applications to 27 Ponquogue Ave, Hampton Bays, NY 11946.
If you have questions, contact the Town Code Enforcement department at CodeEnforcementInquiries@southamptontownny.gov or call +1-631-702-1700.
Allow 1-3 weeks for the local government to issue your permit. During summer and busy periods, this can be 2-4 weeks. To ensure your application is successful, provide all the required documentation and check that each document is complete and accurate.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
- Regler•VærtVi tilbyder hjælp til Airbnb-værter, så de kan sætte sig ind i værtsansvar og få et generelt overblik over forskellige love, bestemmelser og…
- Regler•VærtVi giver ikke juridisk rådgivning, men vi har nogle nyttige overvejelser, der kan hjælpe dig med bedre at forstå love og bestemmelser i din …
- Netværkspolitik•GæstGennemgå vores Standarder for værters pålidelighed.